Thursday, June 13, 2013

From the Infancy of the Hayfamzone


Many of you hayfamzonders have purchased either comics or original artwork from me on ebay, but let me show you a relic from the distant past long before ebay (or the internet) existed.

My selling "career" started in the mid-1970s at the Third-Sunday Old Comic Club Meeting at the (now-shuttered) Wabash Avenue YMCA building in downtown Chicago, as I've mentioned before. But in the 1980s I went so far as to place a few ads in The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom. The advertisement I'm showing above appeared in that newspaper around 1981 or 1982. (Click on the image to see a somewhat larger view.)

The crossed-out items were sold at that time (and yes, you're reading correctly that the original artwork to a Dave Cockrum Spider-Man cover sold for $35 and that a Curt Swan/Murphy Anderson Batman cover sold for $60), while the unsold pages went for a few pennies more than these listed prices when I ebayed them in 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home