Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Slumberland and Rocketland

 

 

Little Nemo in Slumberland is one of the most beloved comic strips of all time. Winsor McKay's full-page masterpiece ran in The New York Herald from 1905 to 1911 and you can view a handful of his beautiful strips in color over here.

In the many decades since 1911, one artist after another has tipped their hat to the master. Even to this day! One week ago this Patrick McDonnell Mutts tribute to Nemo was published in newspapers:

 I myself even got in on the act, but a bit more than a week ago. In fact it was back in 1977 that I wrote and drew Adventures in Rocketland. Before you take a look down below, I'll warn you that I had not yet learned how to letter and the art is also quite rickety but I'm pleased as punch with the layouts and the storytelling. And wow, I sure went crazy for zipatone shading film sheets! Okay, here is episode 1:

I completed all five episodes of the serial way back then and I don't doubt that I will unveil the other four pages on a future day!


 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home