Saturday, May 16, 2020

Brilliant Coloring Choice for The FF


Above is the Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott original artwork to the cover of 1968's Fantastic Four #77. (No, I do not own the artwork but I wish I did.)

The page is quite a bit busier than a Kirby cover usually is. My first reaction when looking at the black-and-white art might be to feel a twinge of a headache. There is so much going on there!

Imagine that you are the colorist confronted with adding hues to this artwork. How would you approach the task?

Well, Stan Goldberg is the gentleman credited with coloring the cover. My ten-gallon hat is off to that gentleman because he tamed the wild bull, as you can see from the printed cover below. What an ingenious decision! Hooray for Stan Goldberg!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home