Monday, April 08, 2013

Gaspar Saladino Has Returned


I recently wrote a little bit about Gaspar Saladino back here, but just wait until you hear what I have to tell you about Mr. S today!

The above logo for a still-upcoming new comic by Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan is a 2012 design by Mr. Saladino. Let me explain why that is significant. Gaspar gave DC Comics covers their distinctive look in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Let me try to drive my point home more clearly by pointing out that the gentleman began his lettering career in 1951. Let me stop beating around the bush and spell it out in capital letters: BORN IN 1926, GASPAR SALADINO IS 86 YEARS OLD! It is so great that the gentleman still keeps his quill in the ink! But wait, I haven't told you the latest.

Just a few weeks ago Dark Horse Comics Presents #21 was released. I've been enjoying this series since it was revived (as I told you back here) but something is particularly noteworthy about this new issue. One story in there, The Day the Saucers Came by Neil Gaiman and Paul Chadwick, is lettered by Gaspar Saladino. If I'm reading the Grand Comics Database correctly, this marks the first time that the gentleman has lettered a story since 2004! Hooray for Gaspar Saladino!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home