Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Legion #300 Cover Contest


Back in 1983, The Legion of Super-Heroes was ready for a special anniversary issue #300. DC Comics decided to have a little fun with it and the 28 Legionnaires on the jam cover were each drawn by a different artist. You can see a larger version of that above cover over here.

But they did not announce who drew each character. Instead editor Karen Berger (yes! she existed before Vertigo did!) decided to run a contest to identify the artists. The first-place prize was to be a page of Keith Giffen Legion original artwork so I was all over that contest. I have always enjoyed the puzzle of trying to figure out an artist by his or her style, so I had a little fun and entered.

I scored all right, too, correctly identifying at least 18 of the 28 artists. That was good enough for me to tie for second place in the contest, and you can see my name below (or over here for a larger version) as printed on the letters page of Legion #306. I don't have a recollection of receiving the Legion poster that was sent to the second-place winners, but I'm certain I did. Karen Berger wouldn't kid about something like that!

Be sure to challenge yourself by looking at the artwork above first because the 28 artists are matter-of-factly revealed down below.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home