Sunday, July 08, 2012

ROY G BIV and Green Lantern


There's an interesting item in the  Green Lantern and Philosophy book that I neglected to mention the other day. This will be noteworthy to anyone who reads the modern day Green Lantern comic book.

You learned about "ROYGBIV" way back when you were a tot. I know I first heard of it when I was in elementary school. An abbreviation to help kids learn that the colors of the spectrum, in order, are Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, ROYGBIV may have been the first mnemonic I ever knew.

Now look up at how I split ROYGBIV up a bit in the title above, and you'll notice how this relates to the multi-colored Lantern Corps that Geoff Johns has introduced into the Green Lantern mythos. In the comic, the Red Lanterns, Orange Lantern, and Yellow Lanterns are kind of the bad guys, the Blue Lanterns, Indigo Lanterns, and Violet Lanterns are kind of the good guys, and the Green Lanterns are the fulcrum that balance all those other guys. Am I the last one to catch on to the ROYGBIV Corps-ordering pattern?

According to the bibliography of Green Lantern and Philosophy, Geoff Johns spelled this out in a magazine interview he gave but it seems to never have been explicitly mentioned in the comic book. I thought everybody should know about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home