Thursday, February 02, 2012

Mike Sekowsky and Ugg Boots



Ugg brand boots from Australia have carved out their own niche in the footwear world over the last few years. I have long hypothesized that their popularity is due to how much they approximate the appearance of superhero boots. After all, who wouldn't want to be and look like a superhero? The Uggs specifically bring to my mind superhero boots as drawn by Mike Sekowsky, and see if you don't agree with me when you look at this 1960s Justice League splash.



Well, an article in the newspaper this week slapped me with a bit of a comeuppance. It seems that the Uggs have been popular with some Middle School kids because the inherent looseness at the top of those boots allows the scalawags to hide from sight forbidden items like cell phones and switchblades and firearms. Who knew? So much for my superhero hypothesis!

Well, anyway, here is a photo of Mike Sekowsky I came across while exhaustively researching for this article. When I first saw Marshall Rogers and Howard Chaykin in person I was struck by how much they resembled characters they might themselves have drawn, and I am struck that same way when I look at this picture of Mr. Sekowsky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home