Friday, July 10, 2020

Vince Giarrano is a Different Kind of Artist



I often let my mind wander back to comics artists whose work I liked but from whom I have seen no material in a long time, and I investigate their whereabouts and doings.

Vince Giarrano was a promising young artist in the 1980s and 1990s but then his output dwindled and I have not seen his name in any comic for probably fifteen years. So what's he up to, I wondered.

The answer is: he crossed a line.

Mr. Giarrano is still an artist, but not for comics. He is now professional painter with what I would call a photo-realistic style, as you can see in "Woman at Diner" shown below. (A number of decades ago when I described Neal Adams' style as photo-realistic a prominent authority in comics fandom strongly disagreed with me but I doubt anyone would dispute the descriptor photo-realistic for the below artwork.)

You can see many more of Vince Giarrano's paintings over here and here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home