Saturday, November 09, 2013

Maruge Goes to School


For today I set my comic book hat aside and proudly put on my teacher hat.

I have just watched The First Grader and I recommend it for every adult in the world. The movie focuses on an 84-year-old Kenyan gentleman who never learned to read but wants to learn late in life for a very definite reason. The gentleman persistently overcomes many political obstacles to attend primary school to meet his goal. There are moments of intense violence and suffering in the film and I can't recommend it for children, but adults will have an uplifting experience.

Education is a powerful force. I have known this for a lifetime, from the earliest days when I sat in a classroom myself to an occasion years later when the millionaire owner of a successful family business enrolled in my arithmetic class to fill a gap in his knowledge that he regretted. I have been going to school since I was five years old many decades ago and there's no place I would rather be!

The First Grader is available on Netflix or amazon or ebay.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home