Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Joe Kubert's Tarzan

I'm not much of a Tarzan fan but I'm a huge fan of Joe Kubert. Last week I received the Artist's Edition of Joe Kubert's Tarzan and I'm very pleased with it.

I like gigantic books to begin with, and this beauty is sized at a mammoth 12 inches by 17 inches. It presents Joe Kubert's first six DC Tarzan stories from 1972 in the same size as and shot directly from the original artwork. They shot the "black and white" artwork in color so that all of the editorial markings and blue pencil roughs appear clearly. Having this book is like owning over one hundred pages of Kubert originals but at less than the price that a single page of the original art would cost. Here is more information about this Artist's Edition and about publisher IDW.

At the end of the book is a biography page and it is adorned with the wonderful self-portrait of Mr. Kubert that I display below. I don't recall seeing this drawing before and, if it was drawn specifically for this book, it is probably my favorite square inch in the entire monolithic tome. (Maybe you'd like to read again over here about the occasion earlier this year when I had the privilege of shaking hands with Mr. Kubert.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home