Saturday, January 15, 2022

Megaton Man's Don Simpson Draws Jack Kirby's Kamandi

 


I've enjoyed the artwork of Don Simpson for many decades, dating way back to his Megaton Man days. Up above is my drawing from the 1980's of the gentleman's most famous character. 

Mr. Simpson also did a nice job as one of the rotating artists on DC's Wasteland series in the late 1980's, but I hadn't seen anything from him for a number of years.

So it gave me great pleasure last week when hayfamzonder Joe Lenius shared the below Simpson-drawn Kamandi-with-gorillas drawing. Fun, right?

(I also like how Mr. Simpson borrowed liberally from the title-lettering style of Kirby inker/letterer Mike Royer. Not only is Mr. Royer one of my favorite Jack Kirby inkers, he is also one of my five favorite letterers of all time. I feel Mike Royer is not as appreciated in fandom-at-large as I believe he should be and I'm always pleased for an opportunity to throw some accolades his way!)

 




 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home