Saturday, June 26, 2021

Fred Hembeck Page in Stargirl

 

DC published the Stargirl Spring Break Special a couple of weeks ago and of course I'm always ready to read any comic written by Geoff Johns. (SPOILER ALERT: This Stargirl story which guest-stars The Seven Soldiers of Victory puts a twist on the continuity of Green Arrow that forever changes that  character in a very interesting way. Okay, so I didn't really spoil the surprise. But every DC fan should be reading this issue though to see for themselves what Mr. Johns has done!)

A bonus in this comic that I wasn't expecting was a full page by the great Fred Hembeck! Fred has been offering up his fun take on comics for over 40 years now and I've enjoyed everything he's ever done! His gag page here takes advantage of the fact that Stripesy of The Seven Soldiers is similar in costume to the Waldo  character of Where's Waldo. Whoops! Maybe I should have labelled "SPOILER ALERT" before that reveal? Anyway, I'll spoil one more thing for you and point out that it's much easier to find Stripesy in the small version above than it is in the super-sized version below.

And please click right here if you'd like to see two pages of artwork that I myself commissioned Mr. Hembeck to draw a decade or two ago. They are Fred's interpretations of two Jack Kirby covers that I have always liked: 1971's The Forever People #1 and 1974's Sandman #1. Great Hembeck! (I just wish my spellcheck would stop changing "Hembeck" to "Hemlock" on me!)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home