Friday, March 12, 2021

Who Drew the Most Comics?

 


Have you ever given a thought to what artist drew the most pages in the annals of comic book history? It would be somebody with a long career in comics, of course, but who?

Jack Kirby would be an excellent guess, and so would John Buscema and so would Carl Barks, and many others also. But in fact the honor of most-pages-drawn belongs to Mr. Curt Swan! The gentleman drew Boy Commandos stories in the 1940s, he drew war stories and crime stories in the early 1950s, and then from the mid-1950s through the mid-1980s he drew Superman and Jimmy Olsen stories every single month. Those pages add up!

By the way, this coronation of Curt Swan is not based on a feeling or a guess (or a dream or a hoax or an imaginary story), it is the factual result of a database search. Here, I'll show you the top twenty artists based on the search results. (And thanks to comics fan Glenn Miller for initiating this search.)


Okay, so I'm a softie. I'll show you the next artists in the list also...


I can tell you from personal experience that Curt Swan was not only prolific but also he was a very kind man. I wrote him a fan letter in 1977 and he took time away from his drawing board to write me a personal reply. I'm going to rummage through the ruins of Pompeii around here and find that note and then I will post it for the world to see. Hooray for Curt Swan!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home