Monday, February 04, 2013

Enlightened is Connected to Batman

The Hayfamzone Blog is about comic books, right? Right. So I try to tie everything in with comics whenever I can. Well, fasten your seat belt for the next paragraph.

The superb Batman movies of 1989 and 1992 were directed by Tim Burton who also directed 1985's excellent Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and Pee-Wee's Playhouse on the small screen a couple of years later featured music by Devo headman Mark Mothersbaugh, who just happens to be the gentleman responsible for the music in the current HBO series Enlightened. Whew!

As I get older I find myself drawn to stories of individuals looking to find their place in the universe and wanting to leave a significant mark on that universe. Enlightened is about exactly these two things. Every episode is written by Mike White, whose genius I recognized as I sat watching his Chuck and Buck back in the year 2000. That's him in the white shirt up above.

The ending of the Enlightened episode entitled  "Not Good Enough Mothers" had me smiling and crying simultaneously, if you can imagine such a thing. We have here some brilliant writing and I am looking forward to seeing much more of these great characters on this wonderful show. I salute you, Mike White.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home