Monday, December 31, 2012

Comics as Curriculum

Every once in a while there's a story in the news about comic books being used as a learning tool. I will always share those with you when I see them! It's always great to hear positive things in the media about comics.

This week a nice article appeared in the Chicago Tribune. I was pleased to see it mention Maus and Will Eisner, and it informed me about Capote in Kansas by Ande Parks and Chris Samnee (of which you can read a five page preview over here). I wanted to display the photo that had accompanied the print version of the Tribune article because it appeared like there was a Golden Age Batman #1 and a Flash Comics #1 hanging on the school wall behind a student (but what's seen are probably just color reproductions of those covers).

I was unable to find that particular photo online but I did instead find the one I'm showing up above, and it was adorning this fine article of comics-in-school from The Denver Post. Then I was only a few clicks away from finding a textbook that explains how to incorporate comic books into a school curriculum.

It looks like comics are on good paper in schools these days. I'm glad about that.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would comics being incorporated into schools make them less enjoyable for youth? I for one disliked reading because of school, but found when I read on my own outside of school years later I loved it. But then again, school use of computers doesn't necessarily repel kids from computers.
Interesting post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home