Saturday, May 05, 2007

It Was Inevitable

It was only a matter of time. It was bound to happen eventually, I guess. I didn't see it coming, and it gave me a funny feeling as I watched it happening.

Fans of and regular visitors to the hayfamzone know well that I sold my entire collection of original comic book artwork (except my Jack Kirby pages) in 2005 and 2006. Well, recently on ebay one of the pages I sold was up for auction anew! I would have missed it because I usually only look at the auctions for Kirby pages these days. But I just happened to be looking on ComicArtFans.com and the page was listed as one of the most-watched auctions on ebay at that time and it caught my eye. I remember clearly how my auctions were regularly being highlighted on that most-watched list back when I was selling the artwork.

The page auctioned of a couple of weeks ago was the 1976 cover to Metal Men #46 penciled and inked by Dick Giordano. Click here and you can see what the original art looked like for the 20+ years that I owned it and click here to see a copy of the printed cover as it appeared on the newsstands (because back then comics still did appear on newsstands and not just in comic book stores!). All those robots! This was one of the most detail-laden pages of art in my entire collection!

The individual who had the artwork up for auction recently thought to do something that never occurred to me. He added a photostat of the Metal Men logo in the empty space that longed to be filled (and he clearly stated in his auction listing that the statted logo was not original). My hat is off to the gentleman because the page looks 100% better with that stat in place! Click here while you can to see how the artwork looks with the logo stat added (but this ebay link will evaporate at some point in the not very distant future).

And click here if you'd like to see images of other great pages that used to be in the Hayfamzone Collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home